What's new
  • We don't have any responsibilities about the news being sent in this site. Legal News are automatically being collected from sources and submitted in this forum by feed readers. Source of each news is set in the news and a link to its source is always added.
    (Any News older than 21 days from its post time will be deleted automatically!)

Jurist UN rights expert condemns military attacks on Myanmar town

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1

Dadparvar

Staff member
Nov 11, 2016
10,601
0
6
UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights in Myanmar Thomas Andrews Monday said that Myanmar’s military must halt its attacks on the town of Loikaw.

In a message on Twitter, Andrews wrote: “Min Aung Hlaing must immediately halt the air and ground attacks that junta forces have unleashed on Loikaw, Karenni State, lift the blockade of those seeking to escape and allow access for those seeking to provide aid and shelter. I urge UN member states to join this call.”

Loikaw is the capital of the Kayah State in the eastern part of Myanmar bordering Thailand. Loikaw is inhabited by members of the People’s Defence Force (PDF) and the Karenni National Defense Force (KNDF) who have opposed the Tatmadaw’s February 2021 military coup. The military has carried on an offensive against these resistance forces using airstrikes, tanks, and artillery. Clashes in the region have intensified since last week.

Local news outlet Myanmar Now reported that the attacks have killed four civilians and displaced more than 1,000 civilians. It also reported that two battalions of the military fortified with helicopters have marched to Kayah to launch the attack on the Loikaw, Demoso and Shartaw townships.

In a statement, the Karenni National Progressive Party (KNPP) said that over 1,200 internally displaced persons have been forced to flee to Thailand while several hundred remain besieged in the Mine Lone sub-township of Loikaw. The KNPP also called upon the international community to “take immediate action against the junta and provide timely humanitarian assistance and protection for the civilians under attack.”

In December 2021, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths called for an investigation into the killing of civilians, including humanitarian aid workers, in the Kayah violence.

Myanmar has been under the control of the military junta since the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi by a coup d’état on February 1, 2021. The Assistance Association for Political Prisoners has found that since the coup in February, over 1,300 people have been killed and over 7,000 have been arrested, charged, or sentenced.



The post UN rights expert condemns military attacks on Myanmar town appeared first on JURIST - News.

Continue reading...

Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top