What's new

Welcome

If you already have an account, please login, but if you don't have one yet, you are more than welcome to freely join the community of lawyers around the world..

Register Log in
  • We don't have any responsibilities about the news being sent in this site. Legal News are automatically being collected from sources and submitted in this forum by feed readers. Source of each news is set in the news and a link to its source is always added.
    (Any News older than 21 days from its post time will be deleted automatically!)

Jurist UN reports 49 bodies in Democratic Republic of the Congo mass graves following militia attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1

Dadparvar

Staff member
Nov 11, 2016
10,600
0
6
The UN Wednesday confirmed the discovery of 49 bodies, including six children, in two mass grave in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). These mass graves were found in the villages of Nyamamba and Mbogi in the Itungi area by the UN’s peace-keeping organisation the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).

Officials have linked the mass killing to a local militia by the name Cooperation for Development of the Congo (CODECO). The search for the bodies commenced as soon as the UN received reports of the attacks by the militia group. The areas of Djugu and Matiagi are said to have experienced constant attacks from CODECO and Zaire militias since December 2022, leading to 105 dead, 68 injured and over 1.5 million displaced persons.

The Rwanda government has expressed its concern over the ongoing attacks. Authorities said they find the reports discouraging given that one of the militias vowed last year to cease any form of hostilities after talks held during the Nairobi-Luanda peace negotiation agreements. Although the agreement necessitated the disarmament of militias, Rwandan authorities say the DRC continually supplies militas with weapons and recruits foreign mercenaries. Rwanda “continues to bear the burden of hosting over 75,000 Congolese refugees” and accused DRC of making “no effort to facilitate their safe return to their homes in the DRC.”

UN officials remain hopeful in DRC’s judicial system, stating that they place faith in the justice system to hold the perpetrators of the attacks accountable. In the mean time, the Nairobi-Luanda peace talks are ongoing.

The post UN reports 49 bodies in Democratic Republic of the Congo mass graves following militia attacks appeared first on JURIST - News.

Continue reading...

Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top