- Thread starter
- Staff
- #1
Dadparvar
Staff member
- Nov 11, 2016
- 10,599
- 0
- 6
The UK Home Office announced Tuesday an expansion to the Disregards and Pardon Scheme to include women who were convicted under laws prohibiting same-sex activity, which have since been repealed. Women can now apply to be pardoned for these offences and have their convictions erased.
While the UK partially decriminalised gay sex in 1967, offences related to same-sex activity between women were never specifically mentioned, meaning many women were punished under various indecency laws. Introduced in 2012, the Disregards and Pardon Scheme previously only applied to men, and didn’t cover all offences. The Home Office’s expansion of the scheme now applies to anyone who was convicted or cautioned under former laws criminalising same-sex activity.
LGBTQ+ organisations in the UK have welcomed the scheme’s expansion as a necessary change. Commenting on the new Scheme, Rob Cookson, Deputy Chief Executive of the LGBT Foundation said: “The criminalisation of gay men made a huge, terrible impact on many people in our community. It is only right that the Disregards and Pardons Scheme has been widened.”
However, these pardons are not automatic: an application must be made to receive a pardon and have a conviction wiped from records. Under the previous Scheme, only 208 people were awarded pardons, with 400 rejected. Speaking on the changes to the Scheme, Secretary of State for Safeguarding, Sarah Daines, stated that: “This extension to the Scheme will widen the scope,” potentially allowing for more successful applications.
The post UK women previously convicted for same-sex activity may now apply for pardons appeared first on JURIST - News.
Continue reading...
Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
While the UK partially decriminalised gay sex in 1967, offences related to same-sex activity between women were never specifically mentioned, meaning many women were punished under various indecency laws. Introduced in 2012, the Disregards and Pardon Scheme previously only applied to men, and didn’t cover all offences. The Home Office’s expansion of the scheme now applies to anyone who was convicted or cautioned under former laws criminalising same-sex activity.
LGBTQ+ organisations in the UK have welcomed the scheme’s expansion as a necessary change. Commenting on the new Scheme, Rob Cookson, Deputy Chief Executive of the LGBT Foundation said: “The criminalisation of gay men made a huge, terrible impact on many people in our community. It is only right that the Disregards and Pardons Scheme has been widened.”
However, these pardons are not automatic: an application must be made to receive a pardon and have a conviction wiped from records. Under the previous Scheme, only 208 people were awarded pardons, with 400 rejected. Speaking on the changes to the Scheme, Secretary of State for Safeguarding, Sarah Daines, stated that: “This extension to the Scheme will widen the scope,” potentially allowing for more successful applications.
The post UK women previously convicted for same-sex activity may now apply for pardons appeared first on JURIST - News.
Continue reading...
Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.