What's new
  • We don't have any responsibilities about the news being sent in this site. Legal News are automatically being collected from sources and submitted in this forum by feed readers. Source of each news is set in the news and a link to its source is always added.
    (Any News older than 21 days from its post time will be deleted automatically!)

Jurist Denmark parliament blocks charges against former Defense Minister for leaking state secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1

Dadparvar

Staff member
Nov 11, 2016
10,601
0
6
The Danish Ministry of Justice Thursday put charges on hold for former Defense Minister Claus Hjort Frederiksen after the Danish parliament Folketing refused to remove Frederiksen’s parliamentary immunity. The Ministry of Justice previously recommended charging Frederiksen with leaking state secrets. As a current member of the Folketing, Frederiksen is guaranteed parliamentary immunity under Section 57 of the Danish constitution, which can only be removed by a vote in the Folketing.

While Ministry of Justice has kept information about the charges classified, Frederiksen alleges that the charges are related to Operation Dunhammer, a joint operation between Denmark’s foreign intelligence agency and the US National Security Agency (NSA). Operation Dunhammer included the illegal sharing of Danish citizens’ information with the NSA and spying on European public officials.

Frederiksen’s lawyer René Offersen emphasized that this case is closed, stating, “We consider the case to be over. We do not expect more to happen in it.”

Frederiksen’s immunity may still be in jeopardy, however, as he announced his intention to retire after his current term. One expert, University of Denmark professor of constitutional law Frederik Waage said it is possible that charges may still be brought after Fredericksen’s retirement. Other experts have shared more tempered opinions. University of Copenhagen professor of criminal and media law at the Center for Public Regulation and Administration Trine Baumbach cautioned that the case may not be so straight forward.

In a statement to the press before appearing at the Folketing to announce the Ministry of Justice’s decision, Attorney General Mattias Tesfaye was unwilling to predict what the future would hold for Frederiksen’s case. Tesfaye said, “I dare not answer that now. But it’s not like I’m going to think about how we’ll get to a position where we can prosecute anyway.”

The post Denmark parliament blocks charges against former Defense Minister for leaking state secrets appeared first on JURIST - News.

Continue reading...

Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top