What's new

Welcome

If you already have an account, please login, but if you don't have one yet, you are more than welcome to freely join the community of lawyers around the world..

Register Log in
  • We don't have any responsibilities about the news being sent in this site. Legal News are automatically being collected from sources and submitted in this forum by feed readers. Source of each news is set in the news and a link to its source is always added.
    (Any News older than 21 days from its post time will be deleted automatically!)

Jurist US Justice Department charges men from Ukraine and Russia with ransomware attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1

Dadparvar

Staff member
Nov 11, 2016
10,601
0
6
The US Department of Justice (DOJ) has charged a Ukrainian and a Russian for their largescale ransomware attacks on the US.

Ukrainian national, Yaroslav Vasinskyi, was indicted in August on charges related to a cyberattack using ransomware known as REVil to attack the multi-national information software company Kaseya and over 1,500 of its customers. Kayesa, who worked with authorities in the sweep, was applauded by Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco who said that by helping the FBI, they “were able to identify and help many victims of the attack.” The department also praised the work of the Ransomware and Digital Extortion Taskforce, who were able to investigate and prosecute the case.

Vasinskyi was arrested by Polish authorities after he crossed the border from Ukraine last month, following the DOJ’s request. The DOJ on Monday requested Vasinskyi be extradited.

Yevgeniy Polyanin, a Russian national, was also indicted by the DOJ for conspiracy to commit intentional damage to protected computers and to extort and conspiring to commit money laundering. Authorities seized $6.1 million in ransom payments tied to Polyanin’s REvil ransomware attacks.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said of the two indictments: “Our message today is clear. The United States, together with our allies, will do everything in our power to identify the perpetrators of ransomware attacks, to bring them to justice and to recover the funds they have stolen from the American people.”



The post US Justice Department charges men from Ukraine and Russia with ransomware attacks appeared first on JURIST - News - Legal News & Commentary.

Continue reading...

Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top