- Thread starter
- Staff
- #1
Dadparvar
Staff member
- Nov 11, 2016
- 10,601
- 0
- 6
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said Thursday that 1506 civilian casualties have been recorded in Ukraine since the Russian Federation launched an armed attack against the country on February 24, 2022. The casualties include 549 deaths and 957 injuries.
The two territories that Russia recognized as independent territories, Donetsk and Luhansk, had the highest number of casualties. Further, the OHCHR said that the majority of the civilian casualties were caused by the deployment of explosive weapons with a large impact area, such as shelling from heavy artillery and multi-launch rocket systems, as well as missile and airstrikes.
However, the OHCHR highlighted that the actual numbers are far higher, particularly in the areas controlled by the government. In addition, many reports are still awaiting confirmation, and the information from certain areas where intense hostilities are taking place has been delayed. There are allegations of hundreds of civilian casualties in the towns of Volnovakha, Mariupol and Izium. However, these claims have yet to be verified.
The UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine gathered the information for this report through interviews with victims and their relatives. According to the Ukrainian Parliament Commission for Human Rights, 61 children have been killed and 100 injured thus far.
Earlier this week, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights reiterated her urgent demand for a peaceful end to the hostilities in Ukraine. She further said that over 12,700 people in Russia have been arbitrarily arrested for participating in peaceful anti-war protests.
The post UN rights office reports 1506 civilian casualties in Ukraine appeared first on JURIST - News.
Continue reading...
Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
The two territories that Russia recognized as independent territories, Donetsk and Luhansk, had the highest number of casualties. Further, the OHCHR said that the majority of the civilian casualties were caused by the deployment of explosive weapons with a large impact area, such as shelling from heavy artillery and multi-launch rocket systems, as well as missile and airstrikes.
However, the OHCHR highlighted that the actual numbers are far higher, particularly in the areas controlled by the government. In addition, many reports are still awaiting confirmation, and the information from certain areas where intense hostilities are taking place has been delayed. There are allegations of hundreds of civilian casualties in the towns of Volnovakha, Mariupol and Izium. However, these claims have yet to be verified.
The UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine gathered the information for this report through interviews with victims and their relatives. According to the Ukrainian Parliament Commission for Human Rights, 61 children have been killed and 100 injured thus far.
Earlier this week, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights reiterated her urgent demand for a peaceful end to the hostilities in Ukraine. She further said that over 12,700 people in Russia have been arbitrarily arrested for participating in peaceful anti-war protests.
The post UN rights office reports 1506 civilian casualties in Ukraine appeared first on JURIST - News.
Continue reading...
Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.