What's new

Welcome

If you already have an account, please login, but if you don't have one yet, you are more than welcome to freely join the community of lawyers around the world..

Register Log in
  • We don't have any responsibilities about the news being sent in this site. Legal News are automatically being collected from sources and submitted in this forum by feed readers. Source of each news is set in the news and a link to its source is always added.
    (Any News older than 21 days from its post time will be deleted automatically!)

Jurist UN human rights office confirms over 1000 civilian deaths in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1

Dadparvar

Staff member
Nov 11, 2016
10,601
0
6
The United Nations human rights office Friday confirmed over a thousand civilian casualties in Ukraine since the start of Russia’s invasion of the country but noted the actual toll is likely much higher.

The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) recorded a total of 1,006 civilian casualties, including 331 killed and 675 injured. Of that total, nineteen children have been killed and 31 injured. The report found that most of those killed died from the use of wide impact explosive weapons, including heavy artillery, multi-launch rocket systems and missile and airstrikes. The report noted that the figures could rise pending the confirmation from the government-controlled territory, where receipt of information has been delayed due to the intense ongoing hostilities.

On Thursday, High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet addressed the Human Rights Council, calling the Russian invasion of Ukraine “a new and dangerous chapter in world history.” She acknowledged the confirmed civilian deaths, including what she characterized as “concerning reports” of the use of cluster munitions by Russian forces. She called for the immediate cessation of the use of weapons with wide-area effects in urban areas. She noted there has been substantial damage to civilian buildings and infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and electricity and water.

She said that more than two million people have been displaced from their homes, with one million internally displaced and over a million having fled Ukraine entirely. She commended the countries that have received Ukrainian refugees but said that all refugees must be welcomed, warning that her office will be watching the refugee situation closely.

Bachelet told the Council that her office had been monitoring the situation in Ukraine for eight years, with a focus on the Donbas region and the Crimean Peninsula. She stated that human rights monitors will continue their work throughout the country during the war. It is vital, she said, that states abide by international law and allow the delivery of humanitarian assistance across the country. She urged for the protection of civilians and of captured soldiers, as required by international law, and she called for full accountability when those legal standards are not met.

The post UN human rights office confirms over 1000 civilian deaths in Ukraine appeared first on JURIST - News.

Continue reading...

Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top