What's new

Welcome

If you already have an account, please login, but if you don't have one yet, you are more than welcome to freely join the community of lawyers around the world..

Register Log in
  • We don't have any responsibilities about the news being sent in this site. Legal News are automatically being collected from sources and submitted in this forum by feed readers. Source of each news is set in the news and a link to its source is always added.
    (Any News older than 21 days from its post time will be deleted automatically!)

Jurist Nova Scotia First Nations drop fishing lawsuit in favor of new legal action

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1

Dadparvar

Staff member
Nov 11, 2016
10,600
0
6
The Potlotek First Nation and Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs Monday dropped their civil suit against the Canadian federal government over fishing provisions. The groups announced that they will instead focus on providing legal defense to a Potlotek harvester who was fishing under a community-approved plan.

“Deciding to discontinue a lawsuit is never an easy decision,” said Chief Gerald Toney, Fisheries Co-Lead for the Assembly. “But we also recognize that in order to best protect our Treaty Rights and our netukulimk harvesters, we had to shift our support to do what’s best for all Mi’kmaw harvesters.”

The Potlotek and Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs originally filed their lawsuit in 2020, arguing that the Fisheries Act and Regulations violated their treaty rights to.a moderate livelihood. Since then, they have not seen legal resolution and they allege that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has continued harassing people fishing. Despite the lawsuit’s withdrawal, the Assembly is adamant that they will continue advocating for indigenous fishers in the region.

“It is important that DFO understands that our harvesters have a court affirmed Right to pursue a moderate livelihood,” said Chief Wilbert Marshall. “We will continue to push for solutions so that Mi’kmaq can harvest for a livelihood without any infringement by DFO on our Treaty Rights.”

The post Nova Scotia First Nations drop fishing lawsuit in favor of new legal action appeared first on JURIST - News.

Continue reading...

Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top