What's new

Welcome

If you already have an account, please login, but if you don't have one yet, you are more than welcome to freely join the community of lawyers around the world..

Register Log in
  • We don't have any responsibilities about the news being sent in this site. Legal News are automatically being collected from sources and submitted in this forum by feed readers. Source of each news is set in the news and a link to its source is always added.
    (Any News older than 21 days from its post time will be deleted automatically!)

Jurist Alleged Séléka militia group leader pleads not guilty to ICC war crimes charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1

Dadparvar

Staff member
Nov 11, 2016
10,601
0
6
The International Criminal Court Monday (ICC) opened a trial against Mahamat Said Abdel Kani, alleged leader of the Séléka rebel group, for crimes humanity and war crimes in violation of the Rome Statute. Said allegedly committed these crimes in Bangui, Central African Republic (CAR) in 2013. Said pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The ICC issued a warrant of arrest against Said on January 7, 2019. The Pre-Trial Chamber II partially confirmed the charges brought by the prosecutor and found that there is sufficient evidence to “establish substantial grounds of belief that Mr. Said was a senior member of the ‘Séléka’ coalition.” Said surrendered to the ICC on January 24, 2021.

Séléka is an armed movement which emerged in 2012 amid dissatisfaction with then-President François Bozizé Yangouvonda. According to the ICC, “Séléka consisted of a coalition of previously uncoordinated political factions and armed groups.” The group captured Bangui in 2013, forcing Bozizé into exile in the Republic of Cameroon, and the leader of Séléka proclaimed himself as president of CAR. The group conducted search operations for supporters of Bozizé and executed an unknown number of residents, including a pregnant woman and family members of Central African Armed Forces personnel.

The post Alleged Séléka militia group leader pleads not guilty to ICC war crimes charges appeared first on JURIST - News.

Continue reading...

Note: We don't have any responsibilities about this news. Its been posted here by Feed Reader and we had no controls and checking on it. And because News posted here will be deleted automatically after 21 days, threads are closed so that no one spend time to post and discuss here. You can always check the source and discuss in their site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top